APT - Astro Photography Tool v2.90
(released on 2015/05/21)
(next version in August)
APT stands for "Astro Photography Tool" and it is like Swiss army knife for your astro imaging sessions.
No matter what camera you use - Canon EOS DSLR or CCD, APT has the right tool for planning, collimating, aligning, focusing, framing, controlling,
imaging, synchronizing, analyzing and monitoring. All its features are packed in an easy and comfortable to use interface with design that had no alternative back in 2009 when
it was released. Since then APT is constantly being improved and refined by the real experience of many astro photographers from all over the world and by author's
own experience. Currently APT works on MS Windows XP, 7, 8
Time unlimited "demo" version available in the Download page.
Here is a list of the main areas APT covers.
- Five generations of Canon EOS Models! Check the models matrix page for details.
- ASCOM compatible CCD cameras - QHYCCD, Starlight Xpress, Atik, Orion, Moravian and more.
- Native support for QSI cameras and filter wheels.
- Native support for SBIG cameras and filter wheels.
- TEMPer(Gold) and TEMPerHUM sensors. Never implemented in astro program before!
- USB_Dewpoint sensor. Never implemented in astro program before!
- Any serial control cable. See a list of serial cable vendors.
- Shoestring Astronomy DSUSB/DSUSB2 and Biula Audio Trigger.
- ASCOM compatible filter wheels.
- ASCOM compatible focusers.
- ASCOM filter wheel to focuser connection to apply filter focus offsets.
- ASCOM compatible rotators.
- ASCOM telescopes control.
- Built in Auto-Dithering, when there is no guiding program.
- Unihedron Sky Quality Meter devices.
- Dark adaptation friendly user interface.
- Multiple color skins - Red,
Blue (click on the colors to see screenshots).
- Easy-to-use imaging plans editor.
- Automatic preview after every exposure.
- Preview in fit or 1:1 scale modes (changeable with simple double click).
- Images browser with thumbnails and delete function.
- Image magnifier that supports 3x, 5x, 10x and 15x magnifications.
- Possibility to track the imaging plan execution progress. Remaining exposures, time and estimated end time.
- Pause / Resume function when plan execution is in progress.
- EOS EXIF Temperature readings - Show them after exposure in plan is taken.
- Displaying the current temperature (requires TEMPer or TEMPerHUM) and current dew point (requires TEMPerHUM).
- Histograms - R, G, B and L histograms of the taken image.
- Graphs to show Temperature, EXIF, Humidity, DewPoint, CCD Temperature/Power, Guiding, Sky Quality changes during the night.
- Camera shutter counter displaying on camera connection (Digic III and latter).
- Monitoring of your laptop and camera battery energy level as well as the camera free space.
- Notifications for low PC/Camera battery, low Camera space.
- Small floating window when APT is minimized to show the current state.
- Corrected image (right orientation) in Preview and LiveView by live flipping of the image horizontally and/or vertically as well as rotation, for easier object framing.
- Sharpening and Negative image effects in Preview and LiveView.
- Gamma and Brightness image effects in Preview and LiveView.
- LV++ - LiveView image intensification in real time to show fainter objects.
- LV Stack - Stacks the LiveView images in real time to help fainter objects framing.
- Alignment aid - Rotatable/Movable cross.
- Collimation aid.
- Pixel Aid with various image statistics - Median, Std Dev and etc.
- CCD Flats Aid to determine the right flats exposures and to create imaging plan.
- Bahtinov Aid - powered by the Bahtinov Grabber technology to provide focusing with sub-pixel precision with a mask!
- FWHM (Full Width Half Maximum) focusing method.
- HFD (Half Flux Diameter) focusing method.
- Automated focusing with ASCOM focusers using FWHM or HFD.
- Darkness clock and Deep Sky Darkness (DSD) calculator.
- Meridian Flip clock.
- Sky Quality tracking with Unihedron device or by manually entered user estimations.
- Objects Browser with 545 deep sky objects (Messier, Herschel 400, most of Caldwell and Hidden Treasures catalogs), 78 alignment stars, 2 start maps to use for size, coordinates selection and GoTo alignment. Available is audio extensions as additional download packages!
- Possibility to enter/import/export data for custom objects in the Object Browser.
- Field Of View calculator tuned for you camera and telescope.
- Object framing aid.
- Object Calculator that shows the actual object scale tuned for your camera and telescope as well as the size in pixels.
- Sound notifications.
- Multi-monitors support.
- Tooltips help - Shows description per every feature (there are translations in English, Dutch, Polish, German, Portuguese, French, Italian, Bulgarian, Spanish, Chinese and more are coming).
- Night Mode for the User's guide.
- Sky Quality NELM (V) to/from MPSAS (B) convertor.
- DARV - Drift Alignment by Robert Vice method - experimental.
Never implemented in astro program before!
- FITS file header viewer.
- 27 keyboard shortcuts.
- PointCraft for images plate solving.
- Ability to frame object with simple click in a solved image ("Aim" mode in PointCraft).
- GoTo operations confirmed with plate solving ("GoTo++" mode in PointCraft).
- Multi-camera operation.
- Multi-camera synchronization and dithering.
- Flexible exposures control. Each exposure can be made with different ISO, Duration, Image Quality, Binning, Filter, count and ending pause.
- Storing destination selection (Camera/PC/Camera+PC for EOS).
- Flexible naming and grouping of the stored images - combination of 13
naming options (including EXIF temperature) and
8 grouping options.
- Light, Dark, Flat, Dark Flat, Bias and Focusing/Farming exposures plan types. The Bias plans use automatically the
fastest supported speed. For EOS the Flat plans use AV dial mode.
- Possibility to schedule and/or loop plan execution.
- Delayed plan start.
- Looping a plan execution.
- Horizontal or vertical plan execution.
- EOS Lens control (Digic III and latter).
- EOS Lens aperture control.
- EOS White balance control.
- EOS and CCD Live View support. It is quite helpful for focusing in combination with Bahtinov or other focusing mask.
- LiveView automation - tunes LiveView parameters for maximum sensitivity.
- Controlling the CCD temperature.
- CCD cooling and warming aids.
- Region of Interest (ROI) in CCDs for faster focusing.
- Color preview of FITS files.
- AntiVibration pause before exposure. This is the needed pause after the mirror is picked up and before the real exposure, in order to eliminate the vibrations caused by mirror moving.
- Automatic enable/disable of the Mirror Lockup camera function depending on the selected Anti-Vibration pause (Digic III and later).
- EOS Mirror lockup control without serial cable for Digic IV and later.
- Auto synchronization of the EOS camera's clock on connection.
- Disabling EOS camera auto power off when APT is used.
- Automatic conversion of EOS raw files in TIFF format
- Planetary panel to record Live View stream in sequence of JPGs.
- Plate solving with PlateSolve2
made by PlaneWave Instruments in both EOS and CCD modes.
- Plate solving with AstroTortilla in both EOS and CCD modes.
- Advanced GoTo by Alt/Az offset to use the AstroTortilla polar alignment routine.
- PHD Auto-Dithering, exposure Auto-Canceling and real-time monitoring of the distance to the guide star.
- MetaGuide Auto-Dithering.
- Lacerta MGen Auto-Dithering, exposure Auto-Canceling and real-time monitoring of the distance to the guide star.
- Possibility to disable dithering for particular plan.
- Possibility to call external scripts and programs.
- Import from AsimoPlan mosaic panels coordinates as Custom objects in the Object Browser.
- Import from AstroPlanner lists as Custom objects in the Object Browser.
As a gesture of gratitude to everyone that supported APT, some features are available only in the full version.
- Notifications for refocusing when the temperature changes or closing dew point to avoid un-needed heating (require TEMPer(Gold) or TEMPerHUM or focuser with temperature sensor).
- HD Video recording for Digic IV cameras from the Planetary panel. Requires lens or T-ring with focus confirmation.
- Automatic EOS Lens focusing (using FWHM) - built into the Lens Panel. Never implemented in astro program before!
- Framing Masks - a multi session aid to help orienting the camera by same angle and position during multiple nights or after meridian flip. Never implemented in astro program before!
- Ability to store PointCarft results in Object Browser for future use in different nights or after meridian flip.
More features are coming with every version and there are at least five updates per year.
Details and important information can be found in the User's guide page.